Pages

Monday, July 30, 2012

how i make that money honey

first things first - i have been a VERY bad blogger.  i got back late last saturday night from ireland just to hope on a plane first thing tuesday morning for a whirlwind work trip to Chicago (how fitting for this post!).  definitely working on an ireland recap since it most definitely deserves its own post.  in any event, today i'm linking up with the bargain blonde for one of the coolest linkups i've seen yet - how i make my money!  i think we're all a little nosy in that department and i know i personally love hearing what other people do for a living and their experiences.  so here we go!


College:
I went to Fordham University in New York.  There's a campus in Lincoln Center in Manhattan and the main campus that I went to in the Bronx directly across the street from the Bronx Zoo (which is free every Wednesday for students so needless to say I've visited there more times than I'd like to admit ha).  I graduated in 2008 from the Business School with a BS in Accounting.  Exciting stuff, I know!


this doesn't look like its right in the middle of the bronx/new york city does it?  crazy, i know.

I basically always knew I would be going to business school and doing something in the field of finance.  While it's not the most exciting career path, I knew that I would gain tons of life skills and would have an extremely large amount of job opportunities living in one of the financial capitals of the world.  Math has always been my strong suit and once I got all my core classes out of the way freshman and sophomore year I was very happy to say sayonara to long, boring papers about books I had no interest in reading anyway!  After taking my intro to accounting class sophomore year, all of the principles came so naturally to me and I knew there was a huge demand in the job market so I marched right down to the dean's office and declared.

Internships:
Mayor Michael Bloomberg's 2005 re-election campaign (summer between freshman & sophomore year)
A small hedge fund in the oil & gas industry (year round sophomore to junior year)
Ernst & Young (summer between junior and senior year)

 with my mom after getting my diploma - this belongs in some cheesy college brochure for sure!

Full Time/Post-Grad:
I interviewed during the spring semester of my junior year for the Big 4 Accounting Firms (Ernst & Young, Pricewaterhouse Coopers, Deloitte & KPMG) internship programs.  If you're an accounting major in college this is the most common career path/starting point.  My huge draw to this internship was the fact that after the summer was over there was a full-time offer made if they liked you.  Locking down a job before senior year even begins? Sign. Me. Up.  Ernst & Young was my first choice based on my office visits and campus career fairs to the 4 firms.  I loved their recruiters and the corporate environment.  After a rigorous multi-round interview process I found out I got the internship and was thrilled and come late August, a full-time offer was in my hands.


I took the summer after graduation off (freedom!) and started working full time at E&Y in September 2008.  I wont bore you with the mundane details but I worked in the Real Estate group auditing Real Estate Investment Trusts...exciting stuff, my friends.  I gained an amazing amount of knowledge, excel skills and experience while at E&Y, but after two years of grueling hours it was starting to wear on me.  There was about 6 months out of the year that I wasn't even allowed to take vacation during and there were nights (or mornings) that I wouldn't leave work until 11, 12, 1am.  For me, the lack of work-life balance is what really got to me in the end.  I was craving more responsibility, more freedom and a smaller company atmosphere.

Currently:
I'm going to ease up on the details here since I currently still hold this job, but I work at one of the major sports leagues in the Finance department.

which one??? :)

I LOVE my job.  Amazing perks, constantly changing and innovative field and best of all it's a casual work environment aka JEANS! My favorite.  My trip to Chicago last week was my very first work trip.  There really isn't much of a need for those of us in the finance department to travel since everything is based here in NYC so when the opportunity arose I jumped on it even though between my vacation and this trip I ended up being in 5 airports in 5 days last week.  I can honestly say I see myself working here indefinitely & I'm really looking forward to continuing to work hard and move up within the company.


So there ya have it!  I'm going to go over and link up with Lindsey and I can't wait to read everyone else's posts!

xx,
C.






7 comments:

  1. Ohh, I'm so intrigued by which sports league you work in! I'm an NFL-er myself, so of course my vote is for football! Loved reading your post via Lindsey's link-up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool! Sounds like a lot of fun! And how awesome to be able to go to the Bronx Zoo for free!!! I had no idea students got in free on Wed.'s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY GOSH!!!!!!! I can't believe you work for one of the sports leagues - not even kidding - the reason I got into marketing was because I wanted to work for the NHL!! If I had my way now, I'd work for the NFL first & then the NHL, but who cares what I would wanna do - you are SOOO lucky!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. *correction - the reason I WANTED to get into marketing! Obviously per my blog post I'm definitley NOT in marketing, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the sweet comment on my Blog! Your job sounds like a BLAST! Have a great week! You gained a new follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeal! What an awesome job and I would never have guessed that was in the middle of the Bronx. Your college campus looks gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing about your career. I am loving finding out what everyone does.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so jealous! I just graduated in May and really want to get into the Sports industry. And it's awesome that you have a casual, jeans wearing work environment. That always makes it a little easier to get up for work in the morning! :)

    ReplyDelete