Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

my foundation routine

as i mentioned yesterday i have super oily skin and have been trying to figure out the best foundation/skin prep routine since high school.  finally, this weekend, i think i perfected it.  i've had great results from saturday through today and i couldn't be happier!

first things first: the primer.  i've tried every primer under the sun and have done tons of research into this.  my 2 favorites have been the smashbox photo finish light and the too faced primed & poreless skin smoothing primer.  at $36 and $30 respectively, these primers aren't cheap, but they last a few months and work so i was willing to pay.......until i came across a youtube video and subsequent reviews on makeup alley claiming that monistat chafing relief powder-gel had almost identical ingredients to the smashbox primer.  yes, you read that right.  i obviously immediately ordered it since it's less than $7 on amazon [ and because i was a little embarrased to run over to cvs and purchase this in person, ha ].



i am happy to report - the monistat gel is AMAZING.  if you use a primer and like either of the two higher end ones that i mentioned above, you should take a chance on switching.  the texture is exactly the same as smashbox and its super lightweight and non-irritating.  best find in a long time.  i wonder who figured this out.....

next up: foundation.  i've tried a bunch of these as well and, surprisingly, my two favorites are straight from the drugstore.  i used to be loyal to revlon colorstay foundation for combination/oily skin but recently switched over to l'oreal paris infallible advanced never fail makeup and i'm loving it.  they have a very similar level of coverage (medium to full) but what i love more about the infallible is that it has a pump dispenser.




third step: powder. as i mentioned in yesterday's post i am a new convert to elf studio high definition powder.  i credit this as being the missing piece to my ever-changing foundation routine.  ever since i started using this last weekend i have notice the biggest change in not only how long i can go without seeing shine, but how fresh my makeup stays throughout the entire day without touching up.  love, love, love this and at $6 there's no reason not to use it!


last, but certainly not least: finishing spray.  i received a trial size bottle of urban decay's all nighter finishing spray with an order from sephora and loved it.  it didn't necessarily help with the shine/oiliness but it did keep my makeup looking fresh all day.  i did a little more research before purchasing the full size bottle and found out that urban decay also makes a de-slick oil-conrol mattifying setting spray.  after using it for about a week i was sold.  does the same thing as the all-nighter but definitely keeps my oily skin at bay for hours at a time.  if you don't happen to have oily/combination skin like me i would definitely recommend the original all nighter spray - just as good!



and there you have it!  about 10 years of wearing makeup and countless hours of research and i finally figured it out.  better late than never!

xx, C.

2 comments:

  1. UH I have somewhat oily skin too annnd it sucks! I usually use a Clinique toner for oily skin, and then a matte foundation from Makeup Forever. They work really well!
    LOVING your blog doll. Would you like to follow each other? Let me know!

    Katie
    Lady Million

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I started using the Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel a few months ago at night and it has really made a big difference in my skin's texture, I love it!

    I'd love to follow :) I'm still pretty new at this and admittedly not very savvy when it comes to tech stuff. I followed you on GFC but I have no idea how to get that on my blog. Everytime I search it all I get is a page saying that it's been retired.

    ReplyDelete