Pages

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

oh, how pinteresting wednesday

linking up with the vintage apple for oh, how pinteresting wednesday!



today's edition is going to be interior design focused.  i recently moved into a new apartment on the upper west side of manhattan in a pre-war brownstone.  loads of charm, including an exposed brick wall, super high celings and a fireplace.  i knew this was the apartment for me the second i walked through the door and i've been so happy ever since i moved.  i've been slowly but surely decorating the place and the one area i'm having the most difficulty with is the fireplace, as i have never had one in my own apartment before.  its in the very, very beginning stages so don't judge my before pics, ha!


here's an overall view of the area in question.  the items on the mantle were just some knick knacks i had so they might not necessarily be staying where they are, i just wanted something up there!  my biggest design issue is the ceiling height.  i'm in the market for a large-scale mirror to hang above the fireplace.

here's a closer view of the fireplace detail and the items on the mantle


and here's a detail view of the interior of the fireplace [ obviously it is not a functioning one ].  currently it's home to my wine rack/wine bottles.


ever since the day i signed my lease i've been scouring pinterest for ideas on styling a fireplace so today i'm going to share all my inspiration photos!

via 

i am ob.sessed. with this fireplace.  i love the touches of silver and the mosaic tiles behind it as an alternative to a mirror or picture.


i love this mantle for springtime with the pops of bright yellow against the mostly white accessories.  i also love this mirror's non-traditional shape.


i love the scale of this mirror for my space and how instead of being hung they just placed it leaning up against the wall.


i love this little vignette for a mantle.  hydrangea are one of my favorite flowers and i love the idea of filling apothecary jars with various items that can be changed based on the season.


anyone else have any great ideas or inspiration photos for decorating a mantle?  i'd love to hear them!





4 comments:

  1. Hi! Stopping by from the link up! I looove your ideas! Mantles are so fun to decorate. I actually just recently put a mirror up and it's just leaning and I fell in love with that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by! :) I'm really loving the look of things leaning vs. hung so that is most likely the direction I'll go in (not to mention so much easier! haha)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had a mantel! We had one growing up and my grandpa would come over every Christmas with greenery and turn it into a magical centerpiece for our house. Awe good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, that's so sweet! I'm really looking forward to Christmas to get some stockings hung & cute decorations up there! Christmas is such a happy time :)

    ReplyDelete